Museum dedicated to the history of alpinism, hosted in the Hofburg. The museum is owned and operated by the Austrian Alpine Club ÖAV, and received numerous prizes including the Tyrolean and Austrian Museum Prizes, as well as being nominated for the European Museum Prize in 2010. The original museum opened in 1911 in a former villa on the Isar river side, but was destroyed by shelling in 1944 during the Second World War. It was rebuilt and reopened in 1977 in its current location. Since 1996 there are regular exhibitions on various mountaineering related topics. The collection covers over 700 m² of exhibits.