What's on your mind?
the largest alm in Europe and one of the most remote settlements in the Alps
municipality in Austria
part of the Europa Sport Region
The garden is operated by the University of Innsbruck and covers an area of 2 ha. It was established around 1911 and replaced an earlier garden, then redesigned after the Second World War from 1948 to 1965. The Alpine rock garden underwent another revision from 1987 to 1990 to update it to the most modern botanical principles. The greenhouses were constructed in 1909, with 3 additional greenhouses added from 1977 to 1979, a succulent house in 1993, and a 6th greenhouse for container plants in 1997. Visitors can view over 5,000 different species in the garden.
A 15th-century house which adopted different architectural styles in later centuries until it evolved into its current amalgamation of Gothic and Baroque facade. The Rococo stucco decorations that look like icing on a cake were added in the early 18th century, and these bows, window frames, oriels, masks, sculptures and shells are what makes this building unique. The architecture helps to capture a maximum of sunlight, which is sparse in the Alps. The last major construction took place in 1732 by Anton Gigl, after which the building was renamed to Sebastian Helbling who owned it at from 1800 until 1827.
federal state in western Austria
Most famous landmark of the city since 1500, the Golden Roof is a late-Gothic alcove balcony of which the roof is decorated with 2657 fire-gilded copper tiles. It was built to commemorate the wedding of Emperor Maximilian I with Bianca Maria Sforza. The balcony allowed the Emperor and his wife to enjoy festivals, tournaments and other events on the square below.
The palace is a former Habsburg palace, and considered one of the 3 most important cultural buildings in Austria (the others being the Hofburg palace and Schönbrun palace in Vienna). It is the main building of a large residential complex used by the Habsburg dynasty. Construction started around 1460 under Archduke Sigismund, including medieval fortifications such as the Rumer Gate which was converted into the Heraldic Tower in 1499 under Emperor Maximilian I. The palace saw numerous expansions during the next 2.5 centuries. The most significant alterations were made between 1754 and 1773 under Empress Maria Theresia, who gave it a Baroque outlook. The palace now hosts 5 themed museum areas: Maria Theresia's Rooms from the 18th century, Empress Elisabeth's Apartment from the 19th century, a Furniture Museum, an Ancestral Gallery, and a Painting Gallery. The museum areas illustrate different aspects of the political and cultural history of the imperial palace under reign of the Habsburg dynasty for over 4.5 centuries.
Museum dedicated to the history of alpinism, hosted in the Hofburg. The museum is owned and operated by the Austrian Alpine Club ÖAV, and received numerous prizes including the Tyrolean and Austrian Museum Prizes, as well as being nominated for the European Museum Prize in 2010. The original museum opened in 1911 in a former villa on the Isar river side, but was destroyed by shelling in 1944 during the Second World War. It was rebuilt and reopened in 1977 in its current location. Since 1996 there are regular exhibitions on various mountaineering related topics. The collection covers over 700 m² of exhibits.
It was built in 1765 to mark the marriage of archduke Leopold and the Spanish princess Maria Ludovica. The north side displays mourning themes on the occasion of Franz Stephan of Lothringen.
Considered among the finest regional heritage museums in Europe, next to the Hofkirche and across from the Hofburg. Its collection features a remarkable selection of cultural artifacts from Tyrol, spread over four wings of a former Franciscan monastery around an arcaded Renaissance courtyard. The permanent exhibition includes handicrafts, costumes, household items, glass, pottery and ceramics, furniture, and many more. A large part is devoted to religious and secular folk art. The architecture of the museum itself is also worth visiting, with rooms outfitted in wood-paneled Gothic, Renaissance, and Baroque style salvaged from noble houses in the area.
Large park at the edge of the Old Town (Altstadt) covering an area of 10 ha between the Congress Palace, the Imperial Palace (Hofburg) and the Tyrolean State Theatre. The initiative for the park was taken by Archduke Ferdinand II in the 16th century, and at the time of completion it was one of the most elaborate gardens north of the Alps. It underwent transformations into a Renaissance style garden, a French formal garden, and since 1858 an English landscape garden. The garden features ponds, a playground, a palm house with 1700 species, and several restaurants and bars. Some of the plants in the park were planted by Austrian empress Maria Theresa.
Construction of the Armoury between 1500 and 1505 was ordered by Maximilian I to strengthen the defensive capabilities of the city, as illustrated by its location near the city walls at the time, next to the main entrance gate of the Sill. The building consists of 2 large 80 m long wings and 2 narrow gatehouses forming a large inner courtyard. It served as a storage for weapons such as cannons and small arms, and a training ground for the city guard. The Armoury retained its function as barracks until the fall of the Austrian Empire in 1918, after which it was closed. The Tyrolean State sourced funds for an extensive restoration from 1964 until 1969, and the Armoury reopened for the public in 1973 as the Tyrolean State History Museum, a branch of the Tyrolean State Museum. On display are historical and technical collections illustrating the history of Tyrol from classic antiquity to the present. In summer, the inner courtyard is often use for open-air cinemas and concerts.
The highest section of the Nordkettenbahn, the Hafelekar chairlift takes visitors to the top of the highest point of the Nordkette moutain, from which the 47.312811.38631 Hafelekarspitze can be reached by foot in approx. 10 - 15 min. Halfway to the summit is the 47.3126911.383831 Cosmic Radiation Research Station of the University of Innsbruck, and an amateur radio outpost.
river in Austria and Germany
What's on your mind?