The New Synagogue is on the site of what was the Semper Synagogue. The old one was designed by Gottfried Semper, who also designed the Semper Opera in Dresden. Erected in 1840 and destroyed by the Nazis in the pogroms of November 1938. Unlike the buildings in the Altstadt destroyed during the war, the synagogue was deliberately not rebuilt in the original style, Instead, a new, starkly modern synagogue was built in 2001, when Dresden's Jewish community (now around 700 members) had grown enough to justify a synagogue. The building is made of concrete made to look like the sandstone which is typical of the area. The worship hall has sharp angles and the complex includes a smaller building and stone courtyard. The design in striking in an austere way both on the outside and the inside. There are regular guided tours (in German), times listed here.