Pillnitz is the old garden residence of the Saxon kings, built at the end of the 18th century in a Japanese but also English style outside of what was then-Dresden, as the closest out-of-town residence of the kings. Pillnitz was the summer residence of the Saxon kings till 1918, today it hosts concerts and cultural events.The site consist of the English garden, a Chinese garden and Chinese pavilion (with Chinese style buildings) and the Orangerie. During summer you will also see all kinds of tropical plants in pots standing in the gardens, but in winter they are all transferred into the Orangerie. There are however, many other indigenous and foreign plants to be discovered. A big attraction is the camellia. Imported at the end of the 18th century from Japan is it now the oldest in Europe. It flowers beautifully in spring. It stands in the open during summer, but is put in a mobile glass house for winter.The castle became known worldwide for the Declaration of Pillnitz by Emperor Leopold II and Frederick William II of Prussia. Calling on European powers to intervene, this declaration was intended to serve as a warning to the French revolutionaries not to infringe further on the rights of Louis XVI, and to allow his restoration to power. It helped begin the French Revolutionary Wars.