This synagogue built by Sephardic Jews is supposed to be the second-oldest still in use synagogue in Europe today. A permanent Jewish community here was founded at the end of the 15th century following the expulsions from Portugal and Spain. The Jewish Ghetto was established in 1546 on Jewish Street in the old town of Dubrovnik. The community flourished and included respected doctors, merchants and state representatives. Jews in Dubrovnik enjoyed relative freedom, but there were some restrictions on their activities at certain points in history. The synagogue is tiny and delightful, with heavy velvet drapes and a richly painted, midnight blue ceiling. The museum contains valuable menorahs and Torah scrolls, alongside information on the history of the Jewish community in Dubrovnik.