Römerberg is the historic centre of Frankfurt, with a number of beautiful buildings, including the town hall and a church from the 14th and 15th century. The name Römer itself refers to the town hall of Frankfurt, which itself received this name from the prominent main building 50.11058.681631 Haus zum Römer, which has existed since at least 1322 and was bought by the city administration in 1405. Fortunately, large parts of the Römer's façade survived World War II. The 50.11038.682221 Fountain of Justice marks the centre of the Römerberg, while the 50.1100416666678.68244444444441 Alte Nikolaikirche (a 12th-century church, current form since the 15th century) is on its southern side. The square is replete with beautiful half-timbered houses, many of which were destroyed during World War II, and completely rebuilt afterwards. One exception is the 50.1094448.6821 Haus Wertheim (also known as Haus Wertheym), which was first mentioned in 1383 and for which the current building dates from around 1600, presumably making it Frankfurt's oldest historic restaurant. Walking towards the Main river, you can further see the 50.10928.682311 Wharfinger's Tower (Rententurm), a 15th-century fortified tower in late Gothic style, which is connected to the 50.10928.68251 Saalhof, a 12th-century castle building that was later modernized but never completely destroyed. Numerous cafés and shops can be found at the square itself and in the vicinity. Behind and north of the Haus zum Römer, the town hall was extended in 1900–1908 with the construction of the Neues Rathaus building complex, a series of Gothic/Renaissance style buildings. This includes a tower known as 50.11048.679781 Langer Franz and the 50.11068.68051 Seufzerbrücke, a bridge connecting two buildings within the complex, both best viewed at Bethmannstraße/Paulsplatz.