A half-timbered castle built by King Christian III in 1539 - 1555 initially as a fortification. Soon it became the seat of the king's provincial governors in Northern Jutland, and then started to be used by the State County for taxes. All that remains today of the original castle is the east wing, the rest was constructed centuries later. There is no public access to the buildings but the courtyard is open for everybody free of charge. Besides, it's possible to visit the castle’s dungeon (1 May - 31 October Mon-Fri 8:00-15:00) and underground casemates (daily 8:00 - 21:00).