What's on your mind?
city in Hungary
city in Northeastern Hungary
is a spa town in North-Eastern Slovakia that exhibits numerous cultural monuments in its completely intact medieval town center and is one of UNESCO's World Heritage Sites.
Aggtelek is a village in northern Hungary, close to the Slovak border.
town in Hungary
village in Hungary
town in Hungary
Professional guidance by booking only in Hungarian. The Downtown Greek-Catholic Church was built in eclectic style, in 1912. Nice altarpiece and iconostasis.
This is a beautiful church made of carved wood built in 1998 as the exact copy of the original church that was burnt down in 1997.The first church known by the name of 'Wooden Church' was built in 1724 and it stood until 1937 when demolished. One year later finished the new one. At this time the wood brought from an area of Transylvania with long traditions of wood-carving. The design of the church also had Transylvanian elements. Originally main wing of Wooden Church was 8.5m wide, the south part was only 7-7.4m wide. On the top of the pulpit is a Phoenix wood sculpture, symbolized the eternal rebirth. The windows of the eastern and western side decorated with stained glass. The larger bell called 'Odon' is 360kg, the smaller, 'Alexander', 193kg.
Description: The synagogue, built between 1861 and 1863, is an outstanding example of Hungarian Romantic architecture and one of the largest such buildings in Europe. The temple includes both Neo-Romanesque and Romantic elements. This is the only surviving synagogue in the city and the only still-functioning synagogue of Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén County. Its Kazinczy Street facade has a rose window and narrow Gothic windows. The synagogue has three aisles. The women's balcony is supported by slim iron pillars decorated with Gothic Revival and Neo-Byzantine elements. The wall paintings feature ornamental an Eastern design. The Exhibition Hall consists of two rooms museum that commemorate the history of the Miskolc Jewish community. One room commemorates the events of the Holocaust in Miskolc, and the other shows scenes from everyday Jewish life in Miskolc prior to the murders.
Mindszent was a separate small settlement in the Middle Age, around 1880 united with Miskolc. The church was built on site of a smaller medieval chapel between 1728-1743. The two slender tower of its got in hundred years later. Inside of the church there are beautiful Baroque paintings and statues. Its altarpieces depicting St Peter and St Paul (at the high altar), the Virgin Mary, St Joseph, St Ladislaw, St Stephen paintings were done in 1855 and 1879. The Baroque statue of Mary with the jar (1739) stands before the church. A small Calvary shrine can be found not far from the church; it was consecrated by the Archbishop of Eger in 1864.
Built between 1785 and 1806 in Copf style. Here is one of the largest iconostasion in Europe, 16 m high, with 87 pictures of the life of Jesus, and the eleven big orthodox holiday plus Easter what is the Ortodox 'Holiday of holidays'. The Baroque iconostasis was carved in the workshop of Eger, the pictures (with the exception of four of them) were painted by a master from Vienna. The copy of the Akhtyrka Icon of the Mother of God was a gift from Empress Catherine II of Russia. A school, a hospital and a parsonage were also built next to the church in the beginning of 18th Century. The churchyard also served as a burial place, several more than 300 years old marble tombstones are still can be see. The interior is divided into three parts: entrance hall, naos, and sanctuary. The Orthodox Liturgical Museum of Hungary is here, in the former school building (approaching from the churchyard). The Orthodox liturgical collection of its is the richest in all Hungary.
A beautiful Gothic church on the Avas hill, one of the oldest buildings of the city, founded in 13th century. A Romanesque style church, and later it was expanded in Gothic style. The belfry was built in 1557. The bells play a melody in every 15 minutes, a variation of the Westminster Chimes. It is a well-known tune in the city. The church is surrounded by a cemetery, where many famous sons of the city were buried.
music institute in Miskolc, Hungary
This is a Roman Catholic parish church. Locally it is often referred to as "Red Church", because of its red roof. The church was built between 1816 and 1823, in late Baroque style with some Neoclassical elements; the altar and the pulpit are late Neoclassical. The first public clock of the city was in the church's tower. The rectangular sanctuary of this two naves church, covered with 'Czech-cap' vault.
suburb and resort in Miskolc, Hungary
Cave system in Hungary and Slovakia
national park of Hungary
What's on your mind?