Madona is 170 km from Latvian capital Riga, eastern direction. Most popular tourism objects in Madona and surrounding:
- Hill Gaizinkalns. Gaizinkalns is the highest point of Latvia. It is 311.6 m above sea level. Visitors can take a walk for the 2 km long walking trail with beautiful views. Hill surrounding has evolved winter sports offer - comfortable skiing centers and accommodation.
- Teiči and Krustkalni nature reserves. The aim of these reserves is to provide ecosystems protection and natural development. There is an opportunity for tourists with a guide to see these protected nature territories, use birds watchtower. The total area of the reserve is 19 657 ha.
- Kalsnava Arboretum - largest collection of decorative trees and bushes in eastern part of Latvia, with total area 130,37 ha.
- Lubana lake -the part of largest lake in Latvia is in Madona district. Beside the lake is possible fishing, swimming, using bird -watching tower, rent a telescope and bike.
- Interesting farms - for tourists is open 13 farms: Rabbits and goats farm "Sveki", goat farm "Līvi", "Kucuru mill", farm "Ataugas".
- Winter sports and recreation centers: Sport center "Smeceres sils", who is located next to Madona town. There are organized biathlon and cross-country skiing competitions (Scandinavian cup 2013 and World-cup Ski-orienteering competition 2013). Recreation center "Gaizins", Skiing center "Viešūra kalns", recreation complex "Rēķu kalns" -Alpine skiing,snowboarding, cross-country skiing, the tube-slope.
- Madona local history and art museum -more than 20 artistic and thematic exhibition in year.
- Different workshops (arts and crafts)and cultural events (Latvian symphonic music festival 29.07.2013; session of guitarist 24.03.2013; Fire Sculpture festival 21.06.2013; Town festival 07.06.2013.
- Accommodation - 1 SPA hotel "Marcienas Manor", 5 Hotels, 13 Guest houses, 4 Country houses, 11 Holiday cottages, 4 Hostels and 6 Campings.
- Madona Tourism information centre, Saieta square 1, Madona. Phone.+371 64860573;
The town of Madona lies in hilly surroundings, that descents underneath the town in a northwestern-southeastern direction. Several minor rivers and streams flows through the town, such as: Lisa River, Leivārīte, Ridzīte, Mucenieki River, Rieba River and Madona River — which flows can be seen in beautiful glens, like: The Love Glen, The Wedding Glen and The Divorce Glen. In The Love Glen is a park, in which the manmade water reservoir has one of the highest fountains in Latvia.
Your notes (private)
What's on your mind? (you can type here notes just for you and they will show on your dashboard)
Information for getting there
When someday comes you'll need to get in.
Information for getting around
When someday comes you'll need to be able to get around.
Your tips and questions
Let us know your best tips about Madona.