What's on your mind?
The Land of the Red Rocks (French: Region Terres Rouges), also known as the Esch-sur-Alzette canton, is the furthest southwest region of Luxembourg.
city in Luxembourg
city and commune in Luxembourg
Place Guillaume (also known in Luxembourgish as the "Knuedler") is the venue for a market every Wednesday and Saturday. It is also the site of an equestrian statue of William II of the Netherlands and Luxembourg and the neo-classical Town Hall which is fronted by two bronze lions.
In summer months the Place d'Armes is filled with tables and chairs from the surrounding cafes and at the centre of the square is the bandstand around which various concert seasons are based.
Built between 1613 and 1618 by Jesuits and was elevated to the status of cathedral in 1870. Nearby is the Gëlle Fra: literally 'Golden Lady'. This is a golden figure of a woman holding a wreath, a symbol of victory. It was taken down by the Nazis during occupation but stands today as a memorial to those who gave their lives in World War II.
Fully restored during the 1990s. It also houses the Luxembourgish Parliament the Chamber of Deputies. The palace is open for a period of 6 weeks over July and August whilst the Grand Duke and his family are away on their holidays. Guided tours last for about 1 hr, are inexpensive, and are available in various languages, including English. Tickets are available from the tourist office in Place de Guillaume II.
Contemporary art forum with changing exhibitions.
Museum about the history of the City of Luxembourg. The entire 1,000-year history is covered, though there is more emphasis on the social and economic history of the period after Luxembourg emerged as a fully independent state in the 19th and 20th centuries. Text displays are all in English, in addition to French and German.
This church took on its present form in 1688, but was probably built in the early 14th century. It was restored during 2003 and 2004.
The rock on which the first castle stood, founded in 963 by Sigefroy (Sigfried). It is tied to a number of other remains of the old fortifications. Among others, the famous fortress builder Vauban built much in the city.
Designed by I.M. Pei of "Louvre Pyramid" fame, this museum showcases Luxembourgish artists and changing international exhibitions. The nonlinear (and rather confusing) building is half the fun, and on a quiet weekday afternoon in the off season you'll pretty much have the place to yourself.
concert hall in Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
cinema in Luxembourg, Luxembourg
In the eastern section of Luxembourg City, just south of the airport. Open daily except for December 25 and January 1; 09:00-17:00. The cemetery is the final resting place for 5,076 American military dead, most lost during the Battle of the Bulge. It is also the final resting place for General George Patton. A monument is inscribed with the names of 371 Americans whose remains were never found or identified. Two large stone pylons with operations maps made of inlaid granite describe the achievements of American armed forces in the region during World War II.
low mountain range in Belgium
What's on your mind?