What's on your mind?
major city in Greater Manchester, England, UK
Skipton is an historical town in the English county of North Yorkshire, forming the southern gateway to the Yorkshire Dales.
Evesham is a small market town in Worcestershire situated roughly equidistant from Worcester, Cheltenham & Stratford-upon-Avon and in the Vale of Evesham.
ceremonial county of England (use Q21694741 for administrative non-metropolitan county)
city in Somerset, England, United Kingdom
city in Scotland, UK
city of the United Kingdom, capital of Northern Ireland
capital city of Ireland
The Bluecoat is the oldest Grade 1 listed building in Liverpool’s city centre, dating back to 1717. Following a £14.5 million redevelopment, it re-opened in March 2008 with a new wing of galleries and a state-of-the-art performance space. It showcases talent across artistic disciplines including visual art, music, literature, dance and live art. It helps nurture new talent by providing studio spaces for artists.
This is a fine building and well worth a visit. It contains an excellent collection of British rocketry exhibits, as well as the best Egyptological collection outside London.
theatre in Liverpool, England
Built in 1754, the Official Residence of Liverpool's Lord Mayor is an elegant stone building, having two fronts; one towards Castle Street, the other towards the area formed by the New Exchange Buildings. Each front consists of an elegant range of Corinthian columns, supporting a pediment, and are themselves supported by a rustic base. Between the capitals are heads, and emblems of commerce in basso-relievo; and on the pediment of the grand front is a noble piece of sculpture representing Commerce committing her treasures to the race of Neptune.
Offers exhibitions, film and participant-led art projects. The building is home to three galleries (showing four exhibitions per year), a beautiful café operated by the team behind LEAF on Bold Street, a cosy bar and four film screens.
This is the city's parish church and home to the third Liver Bird (there are in fact three of them, not two).
Iconic symbol of Liverpool waterfront. This 1911 skyscraper still dominates the distinctive Liverpool skyline. It is the home of the legendary Liver Birds that sit on top of the building looking out across to the Wirral. The river-facing face of the clock is six feet larger in diameter than that of the clock tower at Westminster.
Catholic. Affectionately known by the locals as Paddy's Wigwam or "the Pope's launching pad". Visit on a sunny day as the stained glass ceiling looks fantastic!
Byzantine inspired design, built between 1914 and 1920
Dedicated to St Nicholas the patron saint of seafarers. Built between 1865 and 1870, it was the second purpose built Greek Orthodox Church in England. The architecture of the building is a typical example of the Byzantine style as used in many Eastern Greek Churches. A typical feature is the four domes of the building. Henry Summers, a master builder who built many fine buildings in the city, was commissioned to build the church.
Everton play in the Premier League, the top tier of English football, and their women's team plays in the Women's Super League. The men are one of the oldest football clubs in England; their fans are known as "Toffees". They play at Goodison Park, capacity 40,000, 2 miles north of city centre.
Liverpool play in the Premier League, the top tier of English football, and their women's team plays in the Women's Super League. The men are one of the most successful clubs in the country, having won six European Cups. Their fans are famous the world over for the unique atmosphere they create at Anfield and the singing of "You'll Never Walk Alone" on match days. Matches against Manchester United and against Everton are especially intense affairs with near-capacity crowds. Anfield has a capacity of 54,000.
town in Merseyside, England
This course is renowned as home of the Grand National, the most formidable jumps race in the world, held in April each year. (Liverpool is mobbed when it's on.) They hold other jumps races in winter, but few recently, as the grandstand was being rebuilt. Now this is complete, there will presumably be an expanded race programme at Aintree, but this hasn't yet been announced.
village in Aintree Village civil parish in the Metropolitan Borough of Sefton, Merseyside
An art gallery which contains the collection of George Holt in its original setting. It includes work by Thomas Gainsborough, Joshua Reynolds, Edwin Landseer and J. M. W. Turner.
This is one of Liverpool's most important heritage sites, one of "the finest working country estates in the North West" and was the winner of the European Capital of Culture 2008. The park is at the heart of what was once a great country estate stretching hundreds of square miles and was the ancestral home of the Molyneux family, the Earls of Sefton. After the death of the last Earl it was given to the City of Liverpool. The estate has four main attractions - The Historic Hall, Croxteth Home Farm, the Victorian Walled Garden and a 500-acre country park including the new Croxteth Local Nature Reserve. A new addition to what's on offer at Croxteth is the West Derby Courthouse. Dating from the reign of Elizabeth I, this is one of the oldest public buildings in Liverpool.
town in the Metropolitan Borough of Sefton, England
city in Cheshire, England
town in Lancashire, England
ceremonial county in North-West England (use Q21279371 for administrative non-metropolitan county)
mountainous region in North West England
village in Shropshire, England
county in England
Heritage Railway in Sussex
town in Staffordshire UK
a village located in Bowness, United Kingdom
Grade I listed historic house museum in Cheshire East, United Kingdom
town in Powys, Wales
principal area in south-east Wales
mountain range in South Wales, UK
upland area of the Pennines in Northern England
town in Derbyshire, England
village in the United Kingdom
region of Wales
The most famous sight on the Wall, Housesteads is the most complete Roman fort in Britain, and one of the best-preserved in Europe. English Heritage are in the process of improving the visitors' centre, replacing the rather small museum.
village in Wales
town, community and seaside resort in Gwynedd, within the historical boundaries of Meirionnydd in northwest Wales
village and civil parish in High Peak, Derbyshire, England
village, community and seaside resort in Wales
village in the United Kingdom
town and community in Wales, Britain
park in Cardiff, Wales
Pronounced "kut-AYS, it is the prominent civic centre, comprising expensive white Portland stone buildings in a range of classical styles, all surrounding the formal gardens of Alexandra Gardens whose centre contains national war memorial of Wales.
The domed roof of City Hall topped by a dragon is one of the landmarks of Cardiff city centre. Dating from the start of the 20th century, it is built of beautiful white Portland stone and surmounted by many statues. Inside, the marble hall is dominated by statues of Welsh heroes, the main hall has large bronze chandeliers and the main debating chamber sits under the dome. Open to visitors, events may prevent you from seeing all the rooms but a must-see.
West End shows.
Symphony hall used for orchestral concerts, recitals and other live music and comedy, host the Cardiff singer of the world competition, the world's premier singing competition.
The Hayes. This is the museum of Cardiff's history, located in the Old Library building, which it shares with the tourist information centre.
nightclub in Cardiff
indoor exhibition centre and events arena located in Cardiff, Wales
A church-turned-popular music venue in Cardiff Bay. The Point is situated in the old merchant's quarter of Mount Stuart Square. The square was named after Lord Mount Stuart, who represented Wales in Parliament during the Napoleonic period. The focal point of the square was St. Stephens, constructed around 1900, that would later be turned into The Point.
Sits between the ultra modern Millennium centre and Senedd as a strong contrast and link to Cardiff's glorious past. Covered in dragons and heraldry used for permanent and temporary exhibitions about Cardiff's development, and that of the docks.
bay and area created by the Cardiff Barrage in South Cardiff, Wales
It was established in Cardiff Bay to serve the large community of Norwegian sailors working in the docks. The main claim to fame of its original location is as the place where the author Roald Dahl was christened. Today it is a cafe and art gallery.
community in the west of the city of Cardiff, Wales
Elizabethan manor house in St Fagans, Cardiff
Free admission (£5 car park charge). Known universally as St Fagans (pronounced "FAG-uns"), after the village it's in, this was named the UK's favourite visitor attraction by Which? magazine in 2011, and is easily Wales's most popular. An open-air museum of buildings rebuilt, stone by stone, from all parts of Wales, built in the grounds of St Fagans Castle, an Elizabethan manor house which is also free to wander around. The Castle gardens, dating from the 19th century, are especially beautiful. You may not be able to see everything in a single visit due to the size of the grounds. Great for kids, the bus ride from/to central Cardiff is very pretty.
preserved narrow gauge railway in Wales, UK
town and seaside resort on the Cardigan Bay coast of southern Gwynedd, Wales
A Norman ringwork castle within an older Iron Age hillfort (as at Caer Penrhos). Much of the site has been overgrown with vegetation.
Victorian model village located in Shipley, City of Bradford Metropolitan District, West Yorkshire, England
A wilderness of beauty and tranquility set against the breathtaking backdrop of the Avon Gorge and Brunel's world famous suspension bridge (National Trust).
It is the 5th oldest zoo in the world and the oldest outside of a capital city. It was awarded ‘Zoo of the Year 2004’ by the Good Britain Guide.
The Downs provide a huge open space within Bristol, with great views over the Avon Gorge and the suspension bridge. On top of the downs, right by the bridge is the Observatory, housing a camera obscura and a cave leading down towards an observation point within the 250-foot sheer cliff face of the gorge.
850 acres (340 hectares) city park, less than 2 mi (3.2 km) from the city centre, with a mix of meadow, woodland, deer park, golf course, site of the Balloon Fiesta, the KIte Festival and the former Ashton Court Festival.
bridge spanning the Avon Gorge and the River Avon
A striking modernist design completed in 1973, with an equally modern interior and spire. It is constructed of reinforced concrete faced with granite. Worth a look.
A Grade II* listed building. The Lido and pub are separately managed, the historic Lido having closed in 1989, completely refurbished and reopened in 2008. The Victoria freehouse pub stands in one corner of the site; it was created in 1851 to provide the funds to rescue the Lido the first time, and was saved from closure in 2006.
Bristol's major museum and art gallery houses an outstanding and diverse range of objects, from sea dinosaurs to magnificent art. A visit to the region's largest museum and art gallery is guaranteed to inspire! A range of subjects can be found. From Archaeology to History and Art. It also has a cafe.
This dramatic Victorian tower occupies a prominent hilltop in Brandon Hill park, seen from much of the city. If you climb up the spiral staircase, you get a great view of the whole city from the top. There are signs which show you what you are looking at. It's a great way to get acquainted with the city and oriented to where you are.
The alternative quarter and a green oasis in the heart of the city. Filled with allotments, a city farm, eco-housing and lively pubs including the award-winning The Duke of York in Jubilee Road and The Miner's Arms in Mina Road. The most recent addition to the area is the multi-million pound Eastgate Oriental City complex which features a large Chinese supermarket and Chinese restaurant.
This attractive and hilly park is worth visiting, if only for the views over Bristol from the hill-top. Even better views can be gained by climbing the narrow spiral staircase within the Cabot Tower atop the hill. Open every day from 8AM to 30 min before dusk. The tower is now open again after being closed for significant structural maintenance.
The Afro-Caribbean centre of Bristol and home to the world famous St Pauls Carnival. It still suffers from the negative reputation of having been home of the St Pauls riots over 25 years ago but visitors today will find it a colourful, friendly area with fantastic reggae pubs and clubs and a great street art scene. Host to an Asian supermarket on Ashley Road next door to Teoh's pan-Asian cafe.
The house was built in 1590 and then altered in 1730. It has fine oak panelling and carved stone chimney pieces and is furnished in the style of both periods. The garden has now been laid out in Elizabethan style.
Built for merchant and plantation owner John Pinney in 1790, also the former home of Pero Jones, a slave brought to Bristol from Nevis, by Pinney. It is displayed as it might have looked in the 18th century and provides an insight into life above and below stairs. Free. The book Pero, the Life of a Slave in Eighteenth-Century Bristol (C Eickelmann and D Small) is for sale at the museum.
The world's first iron hulled, screw propeller-driven, steam-powered passenger liner, built by Brunel in 1843 and now preserved in a dry-dock alongside the floating harbour. Winner of the Gulbenkian Prize for Museum of the Year 2006 - the biggest arts prize in the U.K. The "Being Brunel" exhibition alongside opened in 2018 and is included in the ticket price.
Built as the abbey of St Augustine founded in the Norman era, and extensively rebuilt in the 16th and 19th centuries. The seat of the diocese of Bristol.
All under a glass arcade and is a great place to grab some deliciously different and cheap food. Choices include, local cheeses, The Bristol Sausage shop, famous Pie Minister Pies, and food from around the world such as Portuguese, Italian, Moroccan or Caribbean and Turkish.
The Palladian Corn Exchange, built in 1743, boasts a clock on its frontage that ingeniously tells time both in the new-fangled GMT and the old Bristol time. In front are nails (in reality Bronze pillars) over which the local merchants did business; from these come the expression 'cash on the nail'.
It is difficult to imagine now, but this large harbour-side park was a network of busy streets and shops until it was bombed out during the second world war. Within the park are the excavated ruins of Bristol Castle, and the ruined St Peter's Church preserved as it stood after the bombing as a memorial to those killed.
Bridge over the Harbour, known for the iconic counter weights of the lifting section which resemble the shape of movie character Shrek, hence its popular name with the locals. Its formal name Pero's Bridge is a reference to Pero Jones, a Caribbean slave who arrived in Bristol through the harbour channel below the bridge in the 18th. Although the bridges hydraulic mechanism allows it to open and close swiftly, it only does so rarely because the ferry was designed explicitly to pass under the bridge without it needing to be lifted.
King Street is now the heart of Bristol's theatre-land (see 'Old Vic' below) but it once lead down to the docks at Welsh Back, where the old sailing trows (a type of sailing barge) used to dock after their journeys from South Wales. The street has changed little since those days, and the Llandoger Trow pub dates back to 1663. It is rumoured to have been patronised by pirates of old, and by Robert Louis Stevenson whilst writing Treasure Island.
pub in Bristol, UK
A 2.4 ha garden square in the center, originally laid out outside Bristol's city walls in an area known as the Town Marsh. Its planning started in 1699 and construction finished in 1727, being named after Queen Anne. It has seen a turbulent history, with much of the north and west side buildings being destroyed during the riots of 1831 and subsequently rebuilt. From 1937 to 1992 the square was scarred by a dual carriageway road crossing it diagonally, which created a lot of traffic to flow through the area. After this became unbearable by the 90s, the road was closed and demolished by the late 90s, and the garden restored to its pre 1937 glory. Although originally a residential neighborhood, the buildings surrounding the square are nowadays used as offices, and many are listed under heritage protection. The center of the square hosts the iconic statue of William III, a sculpture by John Michael Rysbrack who cast it in 1733 in brass and erected it in 1736 to signify the city's loyalty.
History of Bristol
A former Roman cavalry fort, Chesters has a fairly extensive - if rather old-fashioned - museum including exhibits excavated at Housesteads and elsewhere.
Former airport of Bristol, operating from 1930 until 1957. It played an important role during the Second World War as air bridge between the UK and neutral Portugal, and other territories such as Gibraltar. From the early 1950s the airport became too small to accommodate scheduled services, and expansion was limited by surrounding housing estates. It remained in use for some years for short flights to the Channel Islands, Isle of Wight and the Isle of Man, but flying ceased from 1957 onward. It was reopened in 1959 as a racing circuit, but most of the former airport grounds have been redeveloped since. The main runway still exists and can be visited.
town and port in Gwynedd, Wales
town and civil parish in Derbyshire Dales district, Derbyshire, England
What's on your mind?