Sinan Pasha Mosque (Prizren)
The largest mosque in the city, dominating the town center is the Mosque of Sinan Pasha. This is one of the most important monuments from the occupation of the Ottoman Empire in this territory. According to the inscription inside the mosque, Sofi Sinan Pasha, built it for his co-citizens, on hijrij year 1024 (1615). The mosque was built with walls over 2 m thick, more than 50 windows, and the minaret is one of the highest in the city. The airy interior is adorned by floral paintings, slightly reminiscent of (but much plainer than) the Painted Mosque of Tetovo, on the Macedonian side of the Sharr Mountains. The mosque is very rich in ornaments of many colors and shapes. The interior of the mosque is decorated by arabesques and other decorations of flora and fauna in the baroque style. There are two layers of paintings in it, the paintings of the time when the mosque was built (17th century) and a second layer of paintings (19th century). In the entrance the mosque has a fountain, built by the founder. The mosque also used to have a madras and a library with numerous books on various subjects.